Wednesday 7 December 2011

Who is Jill Scott?

When I was 16 I recorded a Diva Sing Off on VH1 with my MiniDisc player. The whole thing was like a pre-mortem tribute to Aretha Franklin, and pretty much every gay icon was there: Mariah, Celine, Gloria, Shania...

But there was also Jill Scott. She seemed like the most Aretha-like, though more jazzy-poetic and 21st century. I bought her first album "Who is Jill Scott?" and haven't stopped listening to it since.

Last week I went to see her in concert at the Brixton Academy, and she blew me away as much as back in 2001. I think Jillly might be on my MiniDisc player (or iPod) for another ten years. At least.


1999, Jill Scott + the Roots, "You Got Me" (which Jill wrote)


  
"A Long Walk" (classic) + "Golden" (2004)


"He Loves Me" - a LOT of pathos


"Cross my Mind" - Grammy award winner


"Gettin' in the Way" - You better chill girl

1 comment:

  1. omg love jill scott have been listening to her all day

    ReplyDelete